As an expert in lawn care, I understand the unique needs of St. Augustine grass. Choosing the best lawn mower is crucial to maintain its health and beauty.
Leveraging years of experience and in-depth research, I’ve curated a guide to help you find the perfect lawn mower for your St. Augustine grass. Trust me to guide you through this process, as we uncover the most suitable models for your lawn.
Our Top 6 Picks
- Greenworks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower
- Fiskars StaySharp
- American Lawn Mower Company 1815-18 18-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Earthwise Push Mower
- Black+Decker Cordless Lawn Mower
- Worx WG743 Lawn Mower
|Electric Corded 10 Amp motor
|Check current price
|Manually powered lawn mower
|Check current price
|American Lawn Mower Company 1815-18
|Manual push reel
|Check current price
|Earthwise Push Mower
|Manual push power
|Check current price
|Lithium-Ion Battery 40V
|Check current price
|40V Power Share Battery
|Check current price
1. Greenworks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower
The Greenworks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower is an eco-friendly, low-maintenance option for lawn care, with zero gas emissions.
It comes fully assembled, featuring a durable 16-inch cutting deck with 2-in-1 mulching and rear bag capabilities. Its powerful 10 Amp motor efficiently cuts through tough grass, and the 5-position height adjustment allows for varied cutting heights.
- Compact design for easy maneuverability
- Corded for unlimited run time
- Powerful enough to tackle thick grass
- Suitable for small to medium-sized lawns
- Requires no recharging
- Deck Width: 16-Inch cutting width
- Weight: 48Ibs
- Engine Power: 10 Amp motor
- Engine Type: Electric Corded
In my personal experience, this Greenworks lawnmower has been an efficient tool for maintaining my St. Augustine grass. The compact design makes it easy to navigate tight corners and awkward spaces.
Being corded, it offers unlimited run time, a feature that allows me to mow for as long as I need without worrying about recharging.
- Compact and maneuverable: Its smaller size enables easy navigation around tight corners and awkward spaces.
- Powerful: The 10 Amp motor provides enough power to tackle thick, lush St. Augustine grass.
- No need for recharging: Being corded, it offers unlimited run time.
- Cord can be inconvenient: The cord might limit mobility, particularly for larger lawns.
- Not suitable for very large lawns: Due to its compact size, it might take longer to mow larger lawns.
- Requires an outdoor power outlet: An outdoor power outlet is required for operation.
2. Fiskars StaySharp
The Fiskars StaySharp is a standout manual lawn mower, revered for its innovative design and exceptional efficiency. This green, quiet solution to lawn mowing is perfect for St. Augustine grass, offering simplicity and effectiveness in one package.
It features the patented InertiaDrive reel and StaySharp cutting system, reducing the effort needed to tackle thick grass while ensuring clean and precise cuts.
- Type: Manually powered lawn mower
- Deck Width: 18 inches
- Weight: 52 lbs
- Engine Type: No engine (manual operation)
- Environmentally Friendly: With no engine, it produces zero emissions.
- Quiet Operation: No engine noise means you can mow any time without disturbing the neighbors.
- Ease of Control: Lightweight and easy to maneuver, making it ideal for smaller lawns.
- Manual Labor: Requires physical effort to operate, which may not be suitable for everyone.
- Cutting Consistency: It might not cut as evenly as electric mowers, especially in denser grass.
- Size Limitation: Not ideal for larger yards due to manual operation.
Having used the Fiskars StaySharp on my own lawn, I’ve found it copes well with various grass types, ranging from Bermuda to Zoysia. It’s remarkably easy to control, giving me the precision I need to maintain my lawn.
Over time, the mower has shown good durability and minimal wear and tear. Despite the physical effort required, the satisfaction of an efficiently mowed, clean lawn makes it worthwhile.
Overall, I’d highly recommend the Fiskars StaySharp mower for those seeking a greener, quieter mowing solution.
3. American Lawn Mower Company 1815-18 18-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
The American Lawn Mower Company 1815-18 18-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower, a product that combines simplicity and efficiency in a compact, eco-friendly package.
This manual push mower features a human-powered 5-blade reel, offering an environmentally responsible choice for your lawn maintenance needs.
With its 18-inch deck width, it’s well-suited for small to medium-sized lawns. Despite its simplicity, it provides a solid, precise cut every time. Being a reconditioned product, it still promises to deliver high-quality performance but at a more affordable price.
- Deck Width: 18 inches
- Weight: 28.8 Ibs
- Engine Type: Manual push reel
- Eco-friendly: No emissions or fuel required.
- User comfort: Its lightweight nature enhances ease of control and reduces user fatigue.
- Efficient 5-blade cutting system: It handles various grass types with ease, providing a clean, consistent cut.
- Not suitable for large lawns: The 18-inch deck width might limit its efficiency on larger lawns.
- Limited power: As it’s human-powered, it could be challenging to use on steep slopes or rough terrains.
- Durability: As a reconditioned product, its lifespan might be shorter compared to new models.
4. Earthwise Push Mower
The Earthwise Push Mower stands out as an eco-friendly and robust solution for lawn care, impressing with its consistently clean cuts. As a user, I have found it to be extremely durable and easy to use, making it an excellent choice for homeowners.
Its key features include being eco-friendly, as it operates without fuel or electricity, thus reducing carbon emissions.
Additionally, it offers adjustable cutting heights ranging from 1 to 3 inches, catering to various lawn needs. The mower’s strong, heat-treated alloy steel blades remain sharp for extended periods, enhancing both its efficiency and longevity.
- Deck width: 16-Inch cutting width
- Weight: 25 pounds.
- Type of engine: Manual push power.
- Eco-Friendly: The lack of fuel or electricity usage helps reduce carbon emissions.
- Maneuverable: The 10in front wheels and 6in rear trailing wheels make it easy to control, even in tighter spaces.
- Long-lasting sharpness: The alloy steel blades stay sharp for longer, resulting in more efficient cuts over time.
- Manual Labor: Requires physical effort to operate, which may not be suitable for everyone
- Assembly: Although tool-less, some users may find the assembly process challenging.
In my experience, the Earthwise Push Mower has performed excellently across various grass types. The adjustable cutting height feature is especially useful, accommodating different grass lengths for a clean, even finish.
Its durability and easy maneuverability have improved my mowing efficiency and overall satisfaction with this product.
5. Black+Decker Cordless Lawn Mower
The Black+Decker Cordless Lawn Mower is all about convenience and flexibility. Powered by a state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery, this mower provides a cordless operation that frees you from the hassle of dragging cords or refilling fuel.
- Deck Width: 20 inches
- Weight: 48 lbs
- Engine Power: 40V
- Engine Type: Lithium-Ion Battery
This mower is equipped with an adjustable height feature which comes in handy, particularly for St. Augustine grass that thrives when cut at higher settings. It’s also compact in design, which means storing it’s a breeze.
- Highly flexible and convenient to use, with no cords to trip over.
- Easy to store and maintain, thanks to its compact design.
- The adjustable height settings make it versatile for different grass types.
- Battery life could be an issue for larger lawns as it might require recharging before you’ve finished mowing.
Having used this mower on different grass types, I can vouch for its versatility. It maneuvers around St. Augustine grass with ease and the control is very user-friendly. Over the years, it has proven to be a durable piece of equipment.
Despite the battery life limitation for larger lawns, the Black+Decker Cordless Lawn Mower stands out for its convenience, flexibility, and ease of use.
Definitely a worthwhile investment for those seeking an efficient, reliable, and user-friendly lawnmower.
6. Worx WG743 40V Power Share
- Cordless, walk-behind lawnmower with mulching capability
- Intellicut technology for efficient cutting
- 40V Power Share system
- Deck Width: 17 inches
- Weight: 38.6 lbs
- Engine Power: 40V
- Engine Type: 40V Power Share Battery
- The cordless feature offers convenience, no more tangling with cords or worrying about a power supply.
- Its Intellicut technology makes for efficient cutting, giving my lawn a clean, precise cut every time.
- It excels at managing different grass types, especially St. Augustine grass.
- The inclusion of a battery and charger means you’re never left without power.
- The only downside I’ve encountered is the varying availability based on Home Depot’s inventory levels.
In real-life usage, the Worx WG743 Lawn Mower stands out for its ease of control and impressive durability, establishing it as a reliable tool for lawn maintenance.
The comfort it provides during use, coupled with its efficient operation, has significantly contributed to my overall satisfaction with this mower.
An additional advantage is its relatively lightweight design, despite its power, which makes it easy to maneuver around the lawn.
How We Chose the Best For St. Augustine Grass
In determining the top lawn mower for St. Augustine grass, I considered several key factors.
I prioritized performance, ease of use, durability, build quality, features and technology, and maintenance requirements.
Each of these elements played a crucial role in my final decision.
- Best Mower for Bermuda Grass
- Best Reel Mower for Your Lawn
- Best Push Mowers for Large Yards: Mastering the Terrain
Evaluating the performance of various lawn mowers, I’ve prioritized features such as power, cutting width, and ease of use to select the best for taming St. Augustine grass.
Mower speed is crucial, as a faster speed allows for quicker, more efficient mowing. Grass adaptability is equally important; the mower must smoothly cut the tough, thick St. Augustine grass.
Mower maneuverability is key in navigating around your lawn’s unique landscape. Blade sharpness also plays a significant role. A sharp blade provides clean cuts, promoting healthier grass growth.
Lastly, weather resistance was considered. The best mowers can withstand the elements, ensuring longevity and performance. These factors combined helped me identify the top performers.
Ease of Use
A comfortable grip is a must-have for prolonged mowing sessions, reducing hand fatigue and ensuring a secure hold.
Maneuverability factors, such as lightweight design and adjustable handles, played a significant role in my choices, making it easier to navigate around obstacles.
I also looked for user-friendly controls that are intuitive and easy to access.
The assembly process was another consideration; I favored models that are simple to put together with minimal tools.
Durability and Build Quality
I’ve put a lot of emphasis on durability and build quality when selecting the best lawn mowers for St. Augustine grass.
I believe these are vital considerations if you’re looking for a mower that can withstand the rigors of maintaining such a tough and hearty grass.
Here’s what I focused on:
- Material Resilience: Opted for mowers constructed with sturdy, durable materials that can withstand a beating.
- Weather Resistance: The best models can resist harsh weather conditions, prolonging their lifespan.
- Assembly Quality: Mowers with excellent assembly quality were preferred, as they’re less likely to break down.
- Lifespan Expectancy: Considered the manufacturer’s estimated lifespan for each mower.
- Brand Reliability: Chose brands known for their reliability and excellent customer service.
Features and Technology
I looked for models with Smart Mowing capabilities, which make lawn maintenance easier by adjusting cutting height and speed based on grass type and condition.
Innovative design was another key factor, with top marks given to mowers that had advanced settings for customized mowing.
User friendly interface was a must, allowing for easy operation and setting adjustment.
Lastly, in line with today’s growing environmental concerns, I prioritized models featuring eco friendly technology, designed to minimize environmental impact.
These features and technologies made my selection process more comprehensive and ensured I chose the best for you.
Maintenance and Cleaning
After narrowing down several options, I also considered how easy each lawn mower is to maintain and clean.
Here’s what I looked for:
- Proper storage: I assessed if the machine can be easily stored without risk of damage.
- Blade sharpening: The ease of this process is crucial as it significantly affects the mower’s performance.
- Seasonal maintenance: I checked whether the mowers require much upkeep for different seasons.
- Cleaning techniques: I took into account how simple it’s to clean the machinery without causing harm.
- Preventive measures: Lastly, I considered how well each model is built to prevent common issues.
It’s not just about choosing the best performing lawn mower, but also selecting one that’s easy to maintain and clean.
Noise Level and Vibration
I focused on the noise level and vibration of each lawn mower, as these factors greatly impact user experience and comfort.
Noise reduction was a crucial factor in my selection process. I looked for machines that minimized sound pollution, allowing users to maintain their lawns without disturbing the peace in their surroundings.
Vibration control was another key point; I sought out mowers with anti-vibration handles that absorb shock, making it easier to maneuver the machine for extended periods. The aim was to ensure user comfort and reduce strain during operation.
In all my evaluations, I prioritized the user’s comfort and the impact of the mower on the environment.
Fuel Efficiency and Battery Life
I also took into account the fuel efficiency and battery life when choosing the best lawn mowers for St. Augustine grass. I considered several factors:
- Fuel types: I looked at mowers that use various types of fuel like gasoline, propane, and electricity. It’s important to know what’s best for your yard and environment.
- Battery brands: Some brands are known for their long-lasting batteries. I focused on these.
- Charging speed: A mower with a fast-charging battery saves time, which I valued.
- Fuel consumption: Fuel-efficient mowers aren’t just eco-friendly, they also save money.
- Battery disposal: It’s crucial to choose mowers with batteries that are easy and safe to dispose of, to reduce environmental impact.
Price and Value for Money
When it came to price and overall value for money, I was meticulous in choosing the best mowers for St. Augustine grass.
Budget considerations were, of course, top of mind. I compared the initial investment required for each mower, weighing it against their performance, durability, and maintenance needs.
This cost comparison wasn’t just about the upfront price, but also recurring expenses. I factored in everything from fuel or electricity costs to parts replacements.
Through a detailed value assessment, I was able to identify models that offered the most bang for your buck.
I’ve also considered the environmental impact of each mower in my selection process. I was mindful of the need to balance performance with sustainability, so I assessed each model based on the following:
- Sustainable manufacturing: I favored mowers made through processes that minimize waste and energy consumption.
- Carbon footprint: I assessed how much greenhouse gas emissions each mower contributes, both in production and use.
- Recyclability potential: I looked for mowers built with materials that can be reused or recycled at the end of their lifecycle.
- Eco friendly disposal: I considered how easy and environmentally friendly it’s to dispose of each mower once it’s no longer useful.
- Water conservation: I chose mowers that don’t require water for cooling or cleaning, thus conserving this precious resource.
In this way, I ensured the mowers I picked are gentle on our planet.
Customer Support and Warranty
I seriously considered the level of customer support and the manufacturer’s warranty.
I examined the warranty terms closely, assessing the duration and what exactly was covered. I also scrutinized the support accessibility, ensuring manufacturers had multiple methods of contact.
The claim process was another key factor — I looked for a straightforward, hassle-free system.
The ease of product registration and availability of after-sales services were also evaluated.
Therefore, the companies that topped my list didn’t just offer superior products, but also stood behind them with comprehensive customer support and warranties.
Buying Guide: The Best Lawn Mower for St. Augustine Grass
Let’s now turn our attention to the key factors you should consider when purchasing the best lawn mower for St. Augustine grass.
It’s important to take into account the following factors:
- Cutting deck size
- Adjustable cutting height
- Engine power
- Whether the mower is self-propelled or a push model
Also, don’t overlook options for mulching and bagging – they can make a big difference.
Cutting Deck Size
When you’re shopping for the best lawn mower for St. Augustine grass, it’s essential to consider the size of the cutting deck. The deck size significantly influences the mower’s efficiency, maneuverability, and the overall health of your grass.
- Deck Material: Sturdy materials like steel or aluminum enhance durability and performance.
- Maneuverability Factors: A smaller deck size allows for more manageable turns and navigation around tight spaces.
- Deck Size Comparison: A larger deck covers a broader area, reducing mowing time for large lawns.
- Impact on Grass Health: A well-sized deck ensures even cutting, enhancing the grass’s health and growth.
- Deck Size Efficiency: A deck size matching your lawn size maximizes efficiency, saving you time and energy.
Learn More: Bad Boy Mower Deck Adjustment
Adjustable Cutting Height
Next on my list is the mower’s adjustable cutting height, a crucial feature for maintaining healthy St. Augustine grass. Height versatility is paramount here.
Depending on the season and the grass’s health, you’ll need to alter the cutting height for optimal grass length.
A reliable height adjusting mechanism ensures cutting precision. It allows you to select the perfect height for your lawn, contributing to its overall health and appearance.
The best mowers offer several cutting height options, making them adaptable to different terrains.
This feature, known as terrain adaptability, is particularly useful for lawns with varying landscapes. So, when shopping for the best lawn mower for St. Augustine grass, ensure it provides this functionality.
In selecting a top-quality lawn mower for St. Augustine grass, I’ve found that a substantial amount of engine power is essential for efficient and smooth operation.
A mower’s engine power influences everything from the neatness of the cut to the device’s overall longevity.
Here are important factors to consider:
- Engine longevity: A powerful engine tends to last longer, offering more value for your investment.
- Power source: Electric engines tend to be less powerful than their gas counterparts, but they’re quieter and more eco-friendly.
- Torque control: Look for a mower with adjustable torque to handle different grass thicknesses.
- Engine cooling: Powerful engines generate more heat, so an efficient cooling system is vital.
- Speed adjustment: A mower with adjustable speed allows you to control the power output based on your yard’s needs.
Self-Propelled or Push Mower
Moving on from engine power, let’s delve into another crucial factor: choosing between a self-propelled and push mower for your St. Augustine grass. The mower’s maneuverability is key in this decision.
A self-propelled mower effortlessly navigates around your lawn, requiring less manual effort, while a push mower gives you more control.
Grass compatibility is also vital. St. Augustine grass is thick, so a mower with powerful blades is essential. Safety features shouldn’t be overlooked either; an auto-shutoff function is handy.
Seasonal considerations factor in as well. If you’re mowing in the heat of summer, a lighter, self-propelled mower might be more comfortable. Lastly, consider storage solutions. Smaller, foldable mowers save space in your garage or shed.
Mulching and Bagging Options
After settling on the right type of mower, I need to consider the mulching and bagging options that best suit my St. Augustine grass. These options are crucial for grass health and efficient lawn maintenance.
Here’s what I’m looking at:
- Mulching benefits: Mulching returns nutrients to the soil, fostering healthier grass growth.
- Bagging efficiency: Efficient baggers collect clippings with minimal effort.
- Grass health: Both mulching and bagging can contribute to a healthier lawn if done well.
- Clipping disposal: Options for disposing of grass clippings range from composting to curbside pickup.
- Optimal mower settings: I’ll need to adjust settings depending on the grass height and the season.
With these factors in mind, I’m better equipped to choose the best mower for my St. Augustine grass.
After thoroughly testing the Greenworks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower, I’m convinced it’s a top-notch choice for St. Augustine grass. Its eco-friendly nature and powerful motor efficiently handle the thickness of this grass type.
Personally, I found its compact design a game changer – it’s so easy to maneuver around my lawn. Plus, the unlimited runtime, thanks to being corded, means I can take my time to achieve that perfect cut.
While the cord does require some management, it’s a small trade-off for such consistent performance.
Overall, for anyone with a small to medium-sized lawn, this mower is a reliable, environmentally conscious choice that delivers a beautifully maintained lawn every time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the unique needs of St. Augustine grass that affect lawn mower selection?
St. Augustine grass’s thickness requires sharp mower blades. It also needs height adjustment for its rapid growth. Consideration of power source is key, as is grass disposal due to the grass’s dense nature.
How often should I mow St. Augustine grass?
I usually mow my St. Augustine grass once a week. The grass height, blade sharpness, mowing patterns, mower speed, and seasonal mowing all influence how often I need to mow.
Are there any specific care tips for maintaining a lawn mower used for St. Augustine grass?
For maintaining a mower used on St. Augustine grass, I’d focus on blade sharpness, regular oil changes, frequent cleaning, and optimal storage conditions. I’d also ensure thorough engine maintenance to extend its lifespan.
Can I use the same lawn mower for St. Augustine grass and other types of grass?
Sure, you can use the same mower for St. Augustine grass and other types. However, mower compatibility, blade sharpness, grass thickness, cutting height, and regular mower maintenance play crucial roles in achieving great results.
How does the climate or geographical location affect the choice of lawn mower for St. Augustine grass?
Climate and geography majorly influence my choice of lawn mower for St. Augustine grass. Seasonal impacts, humidity effects, and soil considerations all play a part in determining the best equipment for the job.